- 1 Fisheries Course Admission, Fees Syllabus, Eligibility, Duration 2018-2019
- 2 What is fisheries science?
Fisheries Course Admission, Fees Syllabus, Eligibility, Duration 2018-2019
What is fisheries science?
Its all about learning and understanding of fisheries. It’s about learning the marine life and breeding, genetics, biotechnology, nutrition, farming, diagnosis of diseases in fishes. Its also include fisheries management and fisheries environment which includes oceanography, limnology, ecology, biodiversity, aquatic pollution.
The fishery is also one of the most important courses as it could decide the fate of millions of people who rely upon it. fishery science would reach with the fishes and learn more about their environment and productions and diseases, so if something killing those fishes, they would understand and try to save them.
To learn about fisheries science, there are certain skills required as you have to work in the ocean and with fishes like
- You need to have a genuine interest in ocean science and fishery, otherwise, it won’t work well
- You also need to work lots of time on the water, so you need to be prepared for seasickness
- You need be Dedicated to working, have a devotion, hard-working mindset, patients, a curious, inquisitive mind are essential
- You will get lots of business sense as the fishery is all about business, so you need to learn about quick decision making.
In India, we have lots of universities that offers courses in the fishery. We have one of the biggest sea cost in the world and there are lots of opportunities lies for people who want to study in fisheries. Here is the course list
- Bachelor of Fisheries Science (B.F.Sc) – 4 years
- Bachelor of Science (Industrial Fish and Fisheries) – 3 years
- B.Sc. (Fisheries) – 3 years
- B.Sc. (Aquaculture) – 3 years
- Master’s of fisheries science (M.F.Sc) – 2 years
- Master’s of Science (M.Sc) – 2 years
The fishery is also about management and that is why with this course, you will learn to manage and lead.
Career Prospects and Job Opportunities
As we mentioned earlier, there are lots of opportunities in the fishery, especially in India where millions of people eat fishes. You can also work with the government in research or teach. There are other opportunities in the governments like
- Marine Product Export Development Authority (MPEDA)
- Export Inspection Agency ( EIA)
- Coastal Aquaculture Authority of India (CAA)
- Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI)
- Fisheries Survey of India (FSI)
- National Institute of Oceanography(NIO)
- Indian National Centre for Ocean and Information Services(INCOIS), Hyderabad
These are basically part of the government and with a government job, you can get a good salary package and all the benefit of a government employee.
There are plenty of another job opportunity too in private sector as its billion of dollar business and India exports lots of their fisher. You can get a job as
- Fisheries Biologist
- Fisheries Extension Officer (AEO)
- Fisheries Officer
- Fishery Manager
- Fishery technician
- Fishery Observer
- Assistant Fisheries Development Officer (AFDO)
- District Fisheries Development Officer (DFDO)
You can be hired by Fisheries Development Board, Food Department, Food Processing and Technology and Fish Breeding Farms and many more. you can also open your own fishery business and with the skills you have to learn with the course, you can earn lots of money with it. WHO and World bank always offer loan to the fishery as its help people more.
Fishery graduate can get jobs in banks as well as a field officer, managers in agriculture loan section in nationalized as well as private banks.
There are many opportunities to work outside India as the fishery is one of the biggest business everywhere in the world. With a degree in fishery and skills, you can easily get the job Canada, USA or UK and many more.
Fisheries collages in India
|1||College of Fisheries||Mangalore, Karnataka|
|2||Fisheries College and Research Institute||Thoothukudi, Tamil Nadu|
|3||College of Fisheries||Panangad, Kerala|
|4||College of Fisheries||Rangailunda, Orissa|
|5||College of Fisheries||Ratnagiri, Maharashtra|
|6||College of Fishery Science||Pantnagar, Uttaranchal|
|7||College of Fisheries||Dholi, Bihar|
|8||College of Fisheries||Raha, Assam|
|9||College of Fisheries||Veraval, Gujarat|
|10||College of Fishery Science||Muthukur, Andhra Pradesh|
|11||Faculty of Fishery Sciences||Kolkata, West Bengal|
|12||College of Fisheries||Lembucherra, Tripura|
|13||College of Fisheries||Udaipur, Rajasthan|
|14||College of Fisheries||Srinagar, Kashmir|
|15||College of Fishery Science||Nagpur, Maharashtra|
|16||College of Fisheries||Faizabad, Uttar Pradesh|
|17||College of Fisheries||Udgir, Maharashtra|
|18||College of Fisheries||Ludhiana, Punjab|
|19||College of Fisheries||Kawardha, Chhattisgarh|
|20||College of Fishery Science||Jabalpur, Madhya Pradesh|
|21||Fisheries College and Research Institute||Ponneri, Tamil Nadu|
|22||College of Fisheries Science and Research||Etawah, Uttar Pradesh|
|23||Fisheries Science College||Pebbair, Telangana,|
The admission is based on merit and availability of the seats at the respected colleges. For admission in central level colleges, you need to appear in all India level common entrance test conducted by ICAR (Indian Council of Agricultural Research), New Delhi. After completing the B.F Sc, you can pursue the M.F.Sc which is 2-year course. You can specialise in Aquatic Biology & Fisheries, Coastal Aquaculture and Marine, Fishery Science and Aquaculture, Industrial Fisheries, Limnology and Fisheries and Marine Biology and Fisheries with M.F.Sc.
We hope this article would help you understand more about Fishery and all the course and job opportunity you can get with it. if you have any more questions, do let us know in the comments.